Select an Embassy to Search for Jobs
From here you will be able to locate our embassies, high commissions and other diplomatic posts across the world.
How to work at a US Embassy

Please note that it will take me several days to make this page. Please check back as I develop this page.

1) If you are NOT an American

You can only be hired as an LES (Locally Engaged Staff) or a FSN (Foreign Service National). You will apply for jobs directly with one of the US Embassies NOT with the State Department. For example, if you are an Indian citizen and would like to work for the US Embassy in New Delhi, you must apply for jobs listed on the US Embassy New Delhi website DIRECTLY to the US Embassy or as directed in the job description.

2) If you ARE an American

You have much more options.  If you’re living in the United States, you can apply for any number of jobs with the US State Department.  Jobs can be found at  You’ll find all of the different jobs at that site and learn the difference between jobs for officer/generalists and specialists as well as see how to submit applications.

In a nutshell, Specialists are hired on for a specific skill they have (engineers, facility managers, doctors, accountants, etc…) whereas Generalists or Officers are hired for passing the Foreign Service Officers Exam and the potential they bring to the State Department.  Both Specialists and Generalists will rotate between worldwide US Embassies every 2 to 3 years.  These rotations are called “tours” and the embassies at which they are working are called “posts.”

I’ll be adding more to this page, but feel free to look at my blog that details what I went through to work at a US Embassy: